Special traffic and transport arrangements for flag raising ceremonies and fireworks display to celebrate 2023 National Day
(I) Flag raising ceremonies
- Road closures and traffic diversions will be implemented in phases in the vicinities of Wan Chai North, Central and Tin Hau from 0.01am on September 30 to noon on October 1 until the closed roads reopen to traffic.
Public transport service arrangements
- In connection with the above-mentioned road closure arrangements, Citybus route Nos. 2, 5X, 81, cross-harbour route Nos. 104, 914, 961, A11 and H1 operating in the affected areas will be temporarily diverted, and the associated bus stops of the said routes located within the affected areas will be suspended or relocated; and
- The taxi stand at Expo Drive will be suspended from 0.01am on September 30 to noon on October 1, and the cross harbour taxi stand at Harbour Road westbound opposite Harbour Centre will be suspended from 5.30am to noon on October 1.
(II) Fireworks display
- In connection with the holding of the fireworks display at Victoria Harbour at 9pm on October 1, road closures and traffic diversions will be implemented in phases on Hong Kong Island from about 7.30pm in the road sections concerned in Wan Chai, Central District and The Peak on Hong Kong Island. The section of Island Eastern Corridor westbound between Victoria Park Road and Man Hong Street will be temporarily closed to all vehicular traffic except for franchised buses during the fireworks display. Road closures and traffic diversions will be implemented in phases in the vicinity of Tsim Sha Tsui and West Kowloon Cultural District in Kowloon from about 7pm until the crowds disperse and the closed roads reopen to traffic.
(B) Public transport services arrangements
- To facilitate the above-mentioned road closure arrangements, the bus and green minibus (GMB) routes operating in the affected areas will be temporarily diverted, and the associated bus and GMB stops located within the affected areas will be suspended or relocated;
- MTR lines including Island Line, South Island Line, Tsuen Wan Line, Kwun Tong Line, East Rail Line (Tai Po Market - Admiralty), Tuen Ma Line and Tung Chung Line will be strengthened from 8pm on October 1;
- The frequency of the tram service will be strengthened to meet passenger demand if necessary;
- Star Ferry, Sun Ferry, Hong Kong and Kowloon Ferry, Discovery Bay Transportation Services and Park Island Transport will gradually adjust and suspend part of their services from 7pm on October 1 to facilitate the holding of the fireworks display;
- As for the cross-boundary coach service plying between Wan Chai and Huanggang Port, its terminus at the Exhibition Centre Station Public Transport Interchange will be suspended during the road closure period. A temporary pick-up point will be provided at Hennessy Road westbound near Southorn Centre; and
- The service of the Central to Mid-Levels Escalator and Walkway System will be extended to 2am on October 2.
For details of the special traffic and public transport arrangements, members of the public may visit the TD's website (www.td.gov.hk) or its mobile application "HKeMobility". Passengers may also refer to the passenger notices displayed by the relevant public transport operators.
Due to extensive road closures in the affected areas, the TD anticipates that the traffic along Hong Kong Island North and the vicinity (including Causeway Bay, Wan Chai, Admiralty, Central District and the Island Eastern Corridor), the vicinity of Tsim Sha Tsui and West Kowloon Cultural District in Kowloon, and the Cross-Harbour Tunnel as well as the Aberdeen Tunnel will become significantly congested.
Members of the public are advised to make use of public transport services as far as possible to avoid traffic congestion and unnecessary delays. The TD and the Police will closely monitor the traffic situation and implement appropriate measures when necessary. The Police may adjust the traffic arrangements, subject to the prevailing crowd and traffic conditions in the areas. The public should pay attention to the latest traffic news through radio, television or "HKeMobility".
Ends/Thursday, September 28, 2023
Issued at HKT 18:22
Issued at HKT 18:22