Go to main content
LCQ16: Residence Permits for Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan Residents
     Following is a question by the Hon Chan Yung and a written reply by the Secretary for Constitutional and Mainland Affairs, Mr Erick Tsang Kwok-wai, in the Legislative Council today (March 15):

     At present, Hong Kong residents who have ordinarily resided on the Mainland for more than six months may apply to Mainland public security authorities for issuance of Residence Permits for Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan Residents (residence permits) to facilitate their life on the Mainland. The residence permits, which are valid for a period of five years, have been opened for application since September 1, 2018, and the first batch of residence permits issued will expire one after another from September this year onwards. In this connection, will the Government inform this Council:

(1) whether it knows the current number of Hong Kong residents holding the residence permits and, among them, the number of those whose residence permits will expire this year; and

(2) whether it will consider, by making reference to the existing arrangements for applying for Mainland Travel Permit for Hong Kong and Macao Residents, striving for the extension of the validity period of the residence permits to 10 years and the setting up of venues for processing permit applications in Hong Kong by the relevant Central Government departments?


     To facilitate Hong Kong and Macao residents working, studying and living in the Mainland, the State Council issued a circular on the Regulations for Application of Residence Permit for Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan Residents (the Regulations) in 2018. Since September 1, 2018, Hong Kong residents living in the Mainland who meet the relevant criteria can apply for the Residence Permits for Hong Kong and Macao Residents (residence permits) in accordance with the Regulations.

     According to the Regulations, Hong Kong residents who have lived in the Mainland for more than six months with a legitimate and stable job, a legitimate and stable residence or continuous school attendance are eligible to apply for the residence permits, which are valid for a period of five years. The applicants must submit their applications along with the supporting documents, including documentary proof of local residence, employment, education, etc, to the designated local police stations or household registration offices of the relevant places of residence.

     Our reply to the Hon Chan Yung's question is as follows:

(1) We do not have the information requested as the residence permits are not issued by the Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR Government) and the Mainland authorities have not released relevant data.

(2) The Mainland Offices of the HKSAR Government (Mainland Offices) have been maintaining close liaison with Hong Kong people living in the Mainland and associations of Hong Kong people in the Mainland, and following up on the implementation and latest progress of various facilitation policies and measures for Hong Kong people studying, working and living in the Mainland. The Mainland Offices will, from time to time, disseminate the latest information on the facilitation measures to Hong Kong people in the Mainland through various channels such as websites, WeChat public accounts, emails and seminars, etc, to help them understand the relevant details, and collect their views on the implementation of individual measures for conveying to the Mainland authorities and follow-up.

     Regarding the situation of the residence permits and related suggestions, the Mainland Offices will consult Hong Kong people in the Mainland and convey their relevant views to the relevant Mainland authorities as appropriate.
Ends/Wednesday, March 15, 2023
Issued at HKT 11:30
Today's Press Releases