LCQ 17: Tseung Kwan O-Lam Tin Tunnel
The Tseung Kwan O-Lam Tin Tunnel (TKO-LT Tunnel) was officially commissioned on December 11, 2022. Regarding the operation of the TKO-LT Tunnel and its diversion effect on the traffic originally using the Tseung Kwan O Tunnel (TKO Tunnel), will the Government inform this Council:
(1) of the following statistics (set out in a table):
(i) how the hourly vehicular flows in each traffic direction each day of the TKO Tunnel compare with those of the TKO-LT Tunnel since its commissioning (the period);
(ii) how the hourly vehicular flows in each traffic direction each day of the TKO Tunnel in the period compare with those in the 30 days preceding the period; and
(iii) how the hourly vehicular flows in each traffic direction each day of the TKO Tunnel in the period compare with those in the same period last year;
(2) whether it has assessed the changes in the vehicular flows of the various roads connecting to the Tseung Kwan O district after the commissioning of the TKO-LT Tunnel, and made a scientific assessment of its diversion effect; and
(3) of the number of complaints received by the authorities in relation to the TKO-LT Tunnel since its commissioning, as well as the nature of such complaints and the situation of the follow-up actions?
The Tseung Kwan O - Lam Tin Tunnel (TKO-LT Tunnel) provides an alternative route to the Tseung Kwan O Tunnel (TKO Tunnel) to help divert the traffic to and from Tseung Kwan O and help meet the traffic demand arising from the continual development in Tseung Kwan O.
In consultation with the Transport Department (TD), my reply to the various parts of the question raised by the Hon Ngan Man-yu is as follows:
(1) and (2) The TKO-LT Tunnel was commissioned at 8am on December 11, 2022 ("commissioning day" thereafter). Since then, the operations and traffic of the TKO-LT Tunnel and TKO Tunnel have been running smoothly. The relevant traffic flow data are set out at Annex.
Since the commissioning of the TKO-LT Tunnel, the TD has been closely monitoring its effectiveness in diverting traffic. According to our preliminary observations, the traffic congestion during the peak hours along Tseung Kwan O Tunnel Road and Wan Po Road towards TKO Tunnel bound has been significantly alleviated. The traffic queues formed in the past along these roads and their connecting roads have now been greatly shortened.
In Kwun Tong District, while the traffic flow at Cha Kwo Ling Road and the junction of Wai Yip Street/Wai Fat Road has increased, but the traffic is generally operating smoothly. The dedicated traffic lane at the junction of Wai Yip Street/Wai Fat Road towards Kwun Tong Bypass can also effectively divert the traffic.
The TD will continue to closely monitor the changes in traffic flows on the relevant roads in Tseung Kwan O and Kwun Tong.
(3) Since the commissioning day, the TD received three traffic-related suggestions, mainly on improving individual directional signs to make them more informative. The TD has taken immediate follow-up measures, including the installation of more temporary directional signs to facilitate motorists to familiarise themselves with the new road.
Ends/Wednesday, January 11, 2023
Issued at HKT 12:15
Issued at HKT 12:15