Go to main content
Pok Oi Hospital announces two patients test preliminarily positive for COVID-19
The following is issued on behalf of the Hospital Authority:

     The spokesperson for Pok Oi Hospital (POH) made the following announcement today (December 5) regarding two inpatients confirmed preliminarily positive to COVID-19:
     A 79-year-old male patient who has underlying disease was sent to POH by ambulance at noon yesterday (December 4) for dizziness. His condition continued to deteriorate and required high-flow oxygen therapy on the way to the hospital. Upon arrival at POH, patient was sent to a trauma room for resuscitation with intubation to assist his breathing. After that, he was transferred to an isolation room with negative pressure of the Intensive Care Unit (ICU).
     The patient was arranged to take the viral test for COVID-19 and the preliminary result available in the evening was found positive. His 74-year-old wife accompanied him to the hospital also reported feeling unwell and she was admitted to a surveillance ward. She was also tested preliminarily positive to the virus and her condition deteriorated in the evening. Both patients are hospitalized in the ICU of Tuen Mun Hospital (TMH) with critical conditions.
     Upon learning tests results of the two patients, the Infection Control Unit conducted investigation to trace the healthcare workers and patients who had been in contact with them. It was confirmed that all staff members who had been in contact with these two patients had worn appropriate personal protection equipment therefore no one was listed as close contact or other contact.  While a 73-year-old male patient was classified as a close contact and required quarantine for 14 days since he was undergoing medical treatment in the connected trauma room next door while the male patient concerned was undergoing resuscitation. The 73-year-old patient who is tested negative to COVID-19 has been transferred to a single room for quarantine. He is in stable condition.
     POH had arranged thorough cleansing and disinfection in the wards concerned. The hospital will fully co-operate with the Centre for Health Protection on follow up actions.
Ends/Saturday, December 5, 2020
Issued at HKT 20:55
Today's Press Releases