Preview of Hong Kong FinTech Week 2020
The Hong Kong FinTech Week 2020, the city's flagship fintech event to be held from November 2 to 6, brings together the world's top notch innovators, regulators, venture capitalists, investors and financiers to explore how fintech can unlock the power of financial services to drive positive impact for society and business. To be conducted in virtual form for the first time amid the COVID-19 challenges, the unparalleled speakers line-up is expected to draw more than 25,000 participants from over 70 economies.
The week-long event will focus on future fintech trends, growth opportunities in the finance sector, and the resilience and development of the Hong Kong and Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Greater Bay Area. There will also be artificial intelligence-powered matchmaking, live chat networking opportunities, and Hong Kong cultural side events to facilitate interaction between participants.
Among the back-to-back sessions will be an opening keynote speech by the Chief Executive of the Hong Kong Monetary Authority (HKMA), Mr Eddie Yue, which will highlight the HKMA's upcoming fintech plans; as well as a panel discussion featuring top central bankers in the world, including the Governor of the People's Bank of China, Mr Yi Gang; the General Manager of the Bank for International Settlements, Mr Agustín Carstens; and the President of De Nederlandsche Bank and Vice Chair of the Financial Stability Board, Mr Klaas Knot. In addition to sharing their insights on the role of central banks in harnessing the benefits and managing the risks of the digital economy, the panellists would also shed light on the prospects for digital payments. Other HKMA-led sessions include:
- A speech by Deputy Chief Executive Mr Arthur Yuen, on the promotion of Regtech adoption by the Hong Kong banking sector;
- "A glimpse into BIS Innovation Hub" panel discussion moderated by the Senior Executive Director, Mr Edmond Lau; and joined by representatives from the BIS Innovation Hub Centres in Singapore and Switzerland. The panellists will examine the progress made so far and future developments across different BIS Innovation Hub centres; and
- "TechChallenge - Digitising Trade Finance" panel discussion moderated by Executive Director (Financial Infrastructure) Mr Colin Pou; and joined by representatives from the Asian Development Bank, People's Bank of China, World Economic Forum, and World Trade Organization. The panellists will discuss their organisations' effort in facilitating trade digitalisation, the importance of cross-border collaboration, and future opportunities. The winners of TechChallenge will also be announced.
Hong Kong FinTech Week 2020 will also feature internationally renowned speakers, including (in alphabetical order of surnames):
- Founder, Co-Chairman and Co-Chief Investment Officer, Bridgewater Associates, Mr Ray Dalio;
- Founder and CEO, Hanson Robotics, Mr David Hanson;
- World leading inventor and futurist, Mr Ray Kurzweil;
- Executive Director and President, Tencent, Mr Martin Lau;
- Chairman and CEO, Sinovation Ventures, Dr Kai-fu Lee,
- Founder, DST Global, Mr Yuri Milner;
- Group Chief Executive, HSBC, Mr Noel Quinn;
- Investment expert and author, Mr Jim Rogers;
- Steward of Sequoia Capital; Founding and Managing Partner of Sequoia Capital China, Mr Neil Shen; and
- Co-CEO and Executive Director, Ping An Group, Ms Jessica Tan.
The above are just a glimpse of the exciting line-up. A full list of speakers and programme are available on the official website of Hong Kong FinTech Week 2020.
Ends/Thursday, October 29, 2020
Issued at HKT 19:55
Issued at HKT 19:55