Sir Edward Youde Memorial Fund 31st Awards Presentation Ceremony held today
More than 800 students, two apprentices and five working adults were presented with scholarships and awards at the 31st Awards Presentation Ceremony of the Sir Edward Youde Memorial Fund (SEYMF) at Hong Kong City Hall today (March 18).
Officiating at the ceremony were Lady Youde; the Chairman of the Board of Trustees, Mr Ma Ching-cheng; the Chairman of the SEYMF Council, Professor Richard Ho, and other members of the Board of Trustees and the Council.
Speaking at the ceremony, Lady Youde said, "Our Fund is very aware that the sustainable development of Hong Kong is heavily dependent on the support of well-educated young people with a wide range of first class professional skills. Over these past 31 years, the Fund has concentrated its efforts on encouraging and supporting them in their endeavours, and to this end has disbursed more than 250 million dollars to over 770 000 people through a wide variety of awards and sponsored activities."
Since its inception, the SEYMF has supported over 25 100 Hong Kong students under its major schemes. Over 2 700 scholars and fellows have completed their studies and are now working in Hong Kong in different sectors, contributing to the well-being and development of society.
In the 2017/18 academic year, the Fund disbursed $3.05 million. Presented this year were five fellowships for postgraduate students ($50,000 each); 11 scholarships for undergraduate students ($40,000 each); two scholarships for disabled undergraduate students ($40,000 each); six medals for students who obtained outstanding results in the Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education (HKDSE) Examination ($5,000 each); 789 prizes for senior secondary school students and 12 prizes for students of the Vocational Training Council ($800 each); two awards for outstanding apprentices ($5,000 each); and five awards for working adults who underwent retraining and successfully applied what they learned in their new positions ($5,000 each).
The six students who were awarded the Sir Edward Youde Memorial Medals for obtaining outstanding results in the 2017 HKDSE Examination are:
(1) Mr Choy Wai-chak of Queen's College;
(2) Miss Sze Yik-yan of Belilios Public School;
(3) Miss Tang Wai-chi of St Paul's Co-educational College;
(4) Miss Chan Wing-yuet of St Paul's Co-educational College;
(5) Mr Kwong Hing-tim of St Joseph's College; and
(6) Miss Lydia Mak Ho-yi of Good Hope School.
The two apprentices, nominated by the Director of Apprenticeship, who obtained the Outstanding Apprentice Awards are:
(1) Mr Lau Ka-shing, who attained a Higher Diploma in Aircraft Maintenance Engineering and is currently an assistant licensed aircraft maintenance engineer; and
(2) Mr Poon Chun-kit, who attained a Higher Diploma in Electrical Engineering and is currently an electrical engineering technician.
The five working adults, nominated by the Employees Retraining Board and the Construction Industry Council, who obtained the Awards for Self-Improvement for Working Adults, are:
(1) Mr Chan Kwok-fai, who completed a Certificate in Health Worker Training and is currently a health worker;
(2) Ms Cheung Chun-tai, who served as a gardener after completing a Foundation Certificate in Florist and Floriculture Assistant Training;
(3) Mr Ho Wai-him, who completed a Certificate in TTA Creative Industries (Graphic Design) and is currently a project illustrator;
(4) Mr Li Zhichao, who completed a full-time adult short course in Structural Steel Welding (Civil Engineering and Building Construction) and is currently a welding inspector; and
(5) Ms Zhang Qiong, who completed a Foundation Certificate in Junior Beautician Training and is currently a senior beautician.
In 2017/18, the Fund continued to provide an annual sponsorship of $600,000 towards the Young Friends of the Hong Kong Arts Festival to increase the exposure of secondary school and tertiary students to the performing arts. This year, about 6 500 students became members of the Young Friends and around 18 000 students participated in various programmes and activities under this scheme.
Ends/Sunday, March 18, 2018
Issued at HKT 15:00
Issued at HKT 15:00