Traditional Chinese Simplified Chinese Email this article news.gov.hk
Statistics on vessels, port cargo and containers for the second quarter of 2015
*********************************************************

     The Census and Statistics Department (C&SD) today (September 7) released statistics on vessels, port cargo and containers for the second quarter of 2015.

     In the second quarter of 2015, total port cargo throughput decreased by 11% compared with a year earlier to 68.4 million tonnes. Within this total, inward and outward port cargo decreased by 16% and 5% to 40.5 million tonnes and 27.8 million tonnes respectively.

     For the first half of 2015, total port cargo throughput decreased by 6% compared with a year earlier to 136.8 million tonnes. Within this total, inward and outward port cargo decreased by 10% and 1% to 82.4 million tonnes and 54.3 million tonnes respectively.

     On a seasonally adjusted quarter-to-quarter comparison, total port cargo throughput decreased by 8% in the second quarter of 2015. Within this total, inward port cargo dropped by 14%, while outward port cargo recorded virtually no change. The seasonally adjusted series enables more meaningful shorter-term comparison to be made for discerning possible variations in trends.

Port cargo

     Within port cargo, seaborne and river cargo decreased by 15% and 4% in the second quarter of 2015 compared with a year earlier to 44.6 million tonnes and 23.8 million tonnes respectively.

     Within inward port cargo, imports and inward transhipment decreased by 16% and 15% in the second quarter of 2015 compared with a year earlier to 22.2 million tonnes and 18.3 million tonnes respectively. For outward port cargo, exports (including domestic exports and re-exports) increased by 18% compared with a year earlier to 10.6 million tonnes, while outward transhipment decreased by 15% to 17.2 million tonnes.

     Within port cargo, seaborne cargo decreased by 10% compared with a year earlier to 90.4 million tonnes, while river cargo increased by 1% to 46.4 million tonnes in the first half of 2015.

     Within inward port cargo, imports and inward transhipment decreased by 6% and 15% in the first half of 2015 compared with a year earlier to 48.0 million tonnes and 34.4 million tonnes respectively. For outward port cargo, exports increased by 28% compared with a year earlier to 20.6 million tonnes, while outward transhipment decreased by 13% to 33.7 million tonnes.

     The detailed port cargo statistics are summarised in Table 1.

     The main countries/territories of loading of inward port cargo and countries/territories of discharge of outward port cargo are shown in Table 2 and Table 3 respectively.

     Comparing the second quarter of 2015 with the second quarter of 2014, a double-digit increase was recorded in the tonnage of inward port cargo loaded in Singapore (+34%). On the other hand, double-digit decreases were recorded in the tonnage of inward port cargo loaded in Indonesia (-26%), the mainland of China (-23%), Vietnam (-22%), Malaysia (-16%) and Taiwan (-12%). For outward port cargo, a double-digit increase was registered in the tonnage discharged in the mainland of China (+12%). On the other hand, double-digit decreases were recorded in the tonnage of outward port cargo discharged in Singapore (-36%), Taiwan (-32%), Malaysia (-27%), Thailand (-19%), the United States of America (-19%), Japan (-16%), Korea (-15%) and Vietnam (-14%).

     Comparing the first half of 2015 with the same period in 2014, double-digit increases were recorded in the tonnage of inward port cargo loaded in Singapore (+23%) and Korea (+15%). On the other hand, double-digit decreases were recorded in the tonnage of inward port cargo loaded in Vietnam (-24%), Malaysia (-22%), Indonesia (-20%) and the mainland of China (-12%). For outward port cargo, a double-digit increase was registered in the tonnage discharged in the mainland of China (+13%). On the other hand, double-digit decreases were recorded in the tonnage of outward port cargo discharged in Taiwan (-29%), Singapore (-21%), Korea (-21%), Malaysia (-18%), Japan (-17%) and the United States of America (-15%).

     The principal commodities of inward and outward port cargo are shown in Table 4 and Table 5 respectively.

     Comparing the second quarter of 2015 with the second quarter of 2014, double-digit changes were recorded in inward port cargo of "bricks, ceramic tile and refractory construction materials" (-14%), "iron and steel" (-15%) and "stone, sand and gravel; metalliferous ores and metal scrap; and pulp and waste paper" (-34%). As for outward port cargo, double-digit changes were recorded for "stone, sand and gravel; metalliferous ores and metal scrap; and pulp and waste paper" (+27%), "machinery" (-12%), "logs and timber; wood, simply worked" (-12%) and "iron and steel" (-15%).

     Comparing the first half of 2015 with the same period in 2014, double-digit changes were recorded in inward port cargo of "petroleum, petroleum products and related materials; and coal, coke and briquettes" (+11%), "iron and steel" (-12%), "bricks, ceramic tile and refractory construction materials" (-16%) and "stone, sand and gravel; metalliferous ores and metal scrap; and pulp and waste paper" (-19%). As for outward port cargo, double-digit changes were recorded for "stone, sand and gravel; metalliferous ores and metal scrap; and pulp and waste paper" (+35%), "iron and steel" (-14%) and "logs and timber; wood, simply worked" (-15%).

Containers

     In the second quarter of 2015, the port of Hong Kong handled 5.3 million TEUs of containers, representing a decrease of 10% compared with a year earlier. Within this total, laden and empty containers decreased by 11% and 4% to 4.5 million TEUs and 0.8 million TEUs respectively. Among laden containers, inward and outward containers dropped by 9% and 12% to 2.3 million TEUs and 2.2 million TEUs respectively.

     In the first half of 2015, the port of Hong Kong handled 10.2 million TEUs of containers, representing a decrease of 9% compared with the same period in 2014. Within this total, laden and empty containers decreased by 9% and 4% to 8.7 million TEUs and 1.5 million TEUs respectively. Among laden containers, inward and outward containers both dropped by 9% to 4.4 million TEUs and 4.3 million TEUs respectively.

     On a seasonally adjusted quarter-to-quarter comparison, laden container throughput decreased by 1% in the second quarter of 2015. Within this total, inward port cargo increased by 4%, while outward port cargo dropped by 5%.

     Seaborne and river laden containers decreased by 14% and 1% to 3.2 million TEUs and 1.3 million TEUs respectively.

     Within inward laden containers, imports increased by 3% to 0.8 million TEUs in the second quarter of 2015 compared with a year earlier, while inward transhipment decreased by 14% to 1.6 million TEUs. For outward laden containers, exports and outward transhipment decreased by 7% and 14% to 0.7 million TEUs and 1.5 million TEUs respectively.

     In the first half of 2015, seaborne and river laden containers decreased by 12% and 2% compared with the same period in 2014 to 6.3 million TEUs and 2.4 million TEUs respectively.

     Within inward laden containers, imports increased by 3% to 1.4 million TEUs in the first half of 2015 compared with a year earlier, while inward transhipment decreased by 14% to 3.0 million TEUs. For outward laden containers, exports and outward transhipment decreased by 3% and 12% to 1.3 million TEUs and 3.0 million TEUs respectively.

     The detailed container statistics are summarised in Table 6.

     Port cargo and laden container statistics are compiled from a sample of consignments listed in the cargo manifests supplied by shipping companies and agents to the C&SD.

Vessel arrivals

     Comparing the second quarter of 2015 with the second quarter of 2014, the number of ocean vessel arrivals decreased by 2% to 7 500, with the total capacity increasing by 2% to 104.5 million net registered tons. The number of river vessel arrivals increased by 2% to 40 370, with the total capacity decreasing by 8% to 26.5 million net registered tons.

     Comparing the first half of 2015 with the same period in 2014, the number of ocean vessel arrivals decreased by 1% to 14 860, with the total capacity increasing by 1% to 207.3 million net registered tons. The number of river vessel arrivals increased by 3% to 79 570, with the total capacity decreasing by 4% to 52.1 million net registered tons.

     The statistics on vessel arrivals in Hong Kong are given in Table 7.

     Vessel statistics are compiled by the Marine Department primarily from general declarations submitted by ship masters and authorised shipping agents. Pleasure vessels and fishing vessels plying exclusively within the river trade limits are excluded.

Further information

     More detailed statistics on port cargo, containers and vessels are contained in the quarterly report "Hong Kong Shipping Statistics".

     The April - June 2015 issue of the report will be available by the end of September. Users can download this publication free of charge at the website of the C&SD (www.censtatd.gov.hk/hkstat/sub/sp130.jsp?productCode=B1020008).

     Enquiries on port cargo and container statistics may be directed to the Shipping and Cargo Statistics Section of the C&SD (Tel: 2582 4889 or email: [email protected]). For enquiries about vessel statistics, readers may contact the Statistics Section under the Planning, Development and Port Security Branch of the Marine Department (Tel: 2852 3661 or email: [email protected]).

Ends/Monday, September 7, 2015
Issued at HKT 16:30

NNNN

Print this page