Traditional Chinese Simplified Chinese Email this article
All gazetted beaches continue to meet Water Quality Objectives (with photos)

     The Environmental Protection Department (EPD) today (April 1) published a 2013 report on beach water quality indicating that the water quality at all of Hong Kong's gazetted beaches has met the standards required for bathing for four consecutive years since 2010.

     In 2013, 24 (or 59 per cent) of the 41 gazetted beaches were ranked as "Good" and the remaining 17 (or 41 per cent) as "Fair". As in 2012, full compliance with the Water Quality Objectives (WQOs) for bathing waters was maintained.

     "The percentage of beaches complying with the WQO has improved from 63 per cent in 1997 to 100 per cent in 2010 (all 41 beaches), and the improvement has been sustained since," a spokesman for the EPD said.

     "These improvements are the result of the continuous efforts of the Government to implement pollution abatement measures over the past years, including the enforcement of environmental laws, as well as the implementation of sewerage infrastructure projects such as the Harbour Area Treatment Scheme Stage 1, the Advance Disinfection Facilities at Stonecutters Island Sewage Treatment Works and the extension of the sewerage network to the beach hinterland.

     "The EPD will maintain close monitoring of all beaches to ensure that this achievement can be sustained and that beach water quality can continue to meet the WQOs," the spokesman said.

     The 2013 beach water quality report can be found at EPD's websites ( and

Ends/Tuesday, April 1, 2014
Issued at HKT 11:00


Photo Photo
Print this page