CEDB and Qianhai Authority jointly promulgate 16 measures for promoting development of intellectual property and innovation in Hong Kong and Qianhai-Shenzhen
The 16 co-operation measures cover a wide range of areas, including co-operation in IP protection, exploitation and transformation, exchange and study, promotion and education, and IP trading.
The Secretary for Commerce and Economic Development, Mr Algernon Yau, said, "Hong Kong has a robust IP protection regime, sound legal and judicial systems, sophisticated talents and networks in research and development (R&D) and quality professional services. The 16 co-operation measures assist Hong Kong IP developers, enterprises and talents to develop their IP-related businesses in Qianhai and explore the business opportunities in the Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Greater Bay Area (GBA). On the other hand, the measures support the IP industries in Qianhai to leverage Hong Kong's unique advantages and platform to connect with the rest of the world for engaging in IP trading activities. The 16 co-operation measures will help Hong Kong and Shenzhen jointly promote the development of IP and innovation, further capitalise on Hong Kong's competitive edge as a regional IP trading centre, promote the development of IP trading in the GBA and allow Hong Kong to better integrate into the national development.
"The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) Government has been adopting a multipronged approach to promote the development of IP trading, including to jointly study, examine and implement appropriate measures with the relevant Mainland authorities. I would like to express my heartfelt gratitude to the Qianhai Authority for working with us to promote the development of IP trading in the GBA."
The CEDB and the Qianhai Authority will establish a mechanism for advancing IP co-operation. A taskforce for advancing Qianhai Shenzhen-Hong Kong IP co-operation will be set up by the Qianhai Authority, together with relevant members of the Joint Conference of Intellectual Property of Shenzhen Municipality, as well as the Intellectual Property Department (IPD) and the Customs and Excise Department of the HKSAR Government, and the Hong Kong Trade Development Council for advancing IP co-operation between the two places. Major initiatives of the 16 co-operation measures include:
- support Hong Kong higher education institutions, R&D institutions and enterprises to establish operations in Qianhai, assist and facilitate them to commercialise their R&D achievements, explore the huge market in the GBA and beyond, and provide incentives for Hong Kong IP professionals to establish and develop their professional careers;
- support Qianhai technology transfer centres and the IP integrated operation services centre to set up branch offices in Hong Kong, and hence facilitating Mainland IP industries to integrate into Hong Kong's IP industry trading platform and ecosystem;
- support the establishment of a co-operation mechanism between the relevant arbitration bodies in Hong Kong and Shenzhen to further promote IP arbitration services;
- support the reciprocal setting up of enquiry points for IP matters in Hong Kong and Shenzhen by the IPD and the China (Shenzhen) Intellectual Property Protection Center, with a view to enhancing cross-boundary IP services; and
- encourage the creation, commercialisation and application of high-value patents; and support the organisation of more large-scale IP activities (such as exhibitions or forums) in Hong Kong and Shenzhen.
The National 14th Five-Year Plan supports Hong Kong to develop into a regional IP trading centre. The HKSAR Government has spared no effort in protecting IP rights and promoting IP trading to tie in with the national strategy to develop the IP industry, complementing the vision of Hong Kong to develop into a knowledge-based economy and an international innovation and technology centre, and supporting development of its cultural and creative industries. The Government will further develop Hong Kong into a regional IP trading centre by leveraging the institutional advantages of its legal and IP protection systems.
The translation of the main text of the 16 Co-operation Measures for the Development of the Qianhai Shenzhen-Hong Kong Intellectual Property and Innovation Hub is available at the CEDB's website (www.cedb.gov.hk/en/policies/intellectual-property-protection-main-text-of-document.html).
Ends/Thursday, February 23, 2023
Issued at HKT 20:00
Issued at HKT 20:00