Lunar New Year auction of vehicle registration marks this Sunday
A total of 49 vehicle registration marks will be put up for public auction. Forty-eight of them are traditional vehicle registration marks (TVRMs) and one of them is a personalised vehicle registration mark (PVRM). The list of marks has been posted at the department's website, www.td.gov.hk/en/public_services/vehicle_registration_mark/index.html.
People who wish to participate in the bidding at the auction should take note of the following points:
(1) Bidders are required to produce the following documents for completion of registration and payment procedures immediately after the successful bidding:
- the identity document of the successful bidder;
- the identity document of the purchaser if it is different from the successful bidder;
- a copy of the Certificate of Incorporation if the purchaser is a body corporate; and
- a crossed cheque payable to"The Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region" or "The Government of the HKSAR". Any bidder who wishes to bid for both TVRMs and the PVRM, should bring along at least two crossed cheques for payment of auction prices (for an auctioned mark paid for by cheque, the first three working days after the date of auction will be required for cheque clearance confirmation before processing of the application for mark assignment can be completed). Successful bidders may also pay through the Easy Pay System (EPS), but are reminded to note the maximum transfer amount in the same day of the payment card. Payment by post-dated cheque, cash, credit card or other methods will not be accepted.
(2) Purchasers must make payment of the purchase price through the EPS or by crossed cheque and complete the Memorandum of Sale of Registration Mark or the Memorandum of Sale of Personalised Vehicle Registration Mark immediately after the bidding. Subsequent alteration of the particulars in the Memorandum will not be permitted.
(3) A registration mark can only be assigned to a motor vehicle which is registered in the name of the purchaser. The Certificate of Incorporation must be produced immediately by the purchaser if a vehicle registration mark purchased is to be registered under the name of a body corporate.
(4) The display of a vehicle registration mark on a motor vehicle should be in compliance with the requirements stipulated in Schedule 4 to the Road Traffic (Registration and Licensing of Vehicles) Regulations.
(5) Special vehicle registration marks are non-transferable. Where the ownership of a motor vehicle with a special vehicle registration mark is transferred, the allocation of the special vehicle registration mark shall be cancelled.
(6) The purchaser shall, within 12 months after the date of auction, apply to the Commissioner for Transport for the vehicle registration mark to be assigned to a motor vehicle registered in the name of the purchaser. If the purchaser fails to assign the registration mark within 12 months, allocation of the registration mark will be cancelled and arranged for re-allocation by the Commissioner for Transport in accordance with the statutory provision without prior notice to the purchaser.
(7) In view of public health concerns, the TD requests all persons entering the auction hall and the payment office to wear masks and clean their hands with alcohol-based sanitiser, and to wear masks throughout the duration of the auction and payment process.
For other auction details, please refer to the "Guidance Notes - Auction of TVRMs" (www.td.gov.hk/en/public_services/vehicle_registration_mark/tvrm_auction/index.html) and "Guidance Notes - Auction of PVRMs" (www.td.gov.hk/en/public_services/vehicle_registration_mark/pvrm_auction/index.html).
Ends/Tuesday, February 7, 2023
Issued at HKT 14:15
Issued at HKT 14:15