2021 Population Census commences today (with photos/video)

     The Census and Statistics Department (C&SD) announced today (June 23) that the 2021 Population Census commenced today.  

     The Census is being conducted in two phases. During the first phase between June 23 and July 17, data of households will be collected mainly through means without involving face-to-face contact. The second phase is from July 18 to August 4, during which the public can continue to submit information by those means, and the C&SD will also arrange census officers to visit households for interviews.

     Announcing details at a press conference, the Commissioner for Census and Statistics, Ms Marion Chan, said, "The Census provides statistical information which is vital for the future development of Hong Kong. The data collected from the Census are useful to the Government for policy formulation as well as planning of social services and facilities both at the territory-wide level and the district level. The academics and the private sector also frequently use the data for conducting research and formulating business strategies."  

     Ms Chan stressed that the C&SD strives to protect the data privacy of all persons and households. Information collected in the Census will be kept in strict confidence and will not be disclosed to any unauthorised parties. Such information will only be used for compiling statistics but not for other purposes. All questionnaires will be destroyed within 12 months after the commencement of the Census.

     It is important for all households in Hong Kong to participate in the Census. About 10 per cent of the households selected through random sampling are required to provide a broad range of socio-economic characteristics of household members. The remaining 90 per cent of the households are only subject to simple enumeration to provide some basic demographic information of household members. The C&SD will issue notification letters in purple envelopes to households in batches starting from today. Households subject to the simple enumeration will receive a paper questionnaire enclosed in the notification letters.

     In light of COVID-19, to minimise face-to-face contact and maintain social distancing, the C&SD called on all households, including owner-occupiers or tenants, who have received a notification letter, to provide the required information by one of the following means:

(1) Completing an online questionnaire (by activating the online questionnaire through scanning the QR code on the notification letter or the enclosed questionnaire, or through the secured thematic website of the Census (www.census2021.gov.hk)); 

(2) Conducting a telephone interview (by calling the Census Service Centre hotline at 18 2021); or

(3) Mailing back the completed questionnaire (applicable to households who have received a paper questionnaire).

     For households who have completed their questionnaires by the above non-face-to-face means, census officers will not visit their residence to collect data during the second phase of the Census starting from July 18.

     Ms Chan appealed to households to use the online questionnaire. Individual household members can use their smartphones, desktop computers or mobile tablets to complete and submit the online questionnaire anytime and anywhere, which is convenient, secure and green.    

     The Census is conducted under section 9 of the Census and Statistics Ordinance (Cap. 316). All persons specified are obliged to provide the required information. It is an offence if any persons contravene the legal requirement for completing the Census questionnaire.

     The Census Service Centre has commenced operation, with service hours from 9am to 10.30pm daily until August 16 (including public holidays). Members of the public may call the Census Service Centre hotline at 18 2021 if they have any questions in completing the questionnaire. They may also visit the thematic website of the Census (www.census2021.gov.hk) to obtain more information.

Ends/Wednesday, June 23, 2021
Issued at HKT 16:30