CE signs 2020 Work Plan of Framework Agreement on Hong Kong/Guangdong Co-operation
A Government spokesperson said, "The direction and objectives of the 2020 Work Plan continue to be the implementation of the Outline Development Plan for the Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Greater Bay Area (Outline Development Plan) and the further deepening of the co-operation between Hong Kong and Guangdong. The 2020 Work Plan covers a diverse range of issues in eight major areas, namely:
- cross-boundary infrastructure development and customs clearance facilitation;
- joint development of an international innovation and technology hub;
- fostering co-operation in modern service industries (including co-operation in the financial services sector and professional services, as well as cultural and tourism co-operation);
- taking forward co-operation in education, talents and youth matters;
- developing an internationalised business environment;
- joint development of a quality living circle;
- joint participation in the Belt and Road Initiative; and
- taking forward the development of key co-operation platforms."
The 57 measures in the 2020 Work Plan are the outcome of discussions between the governments of the HKSAR and Guangdong Province. The measures aim to further facilitate exchanges between residents of Hong Kong and Guangdong, improve the quality of living of the people of the two places, take forward developments in innovation and technology, as well as strengthen co-operation in various sectors and industries, thereby contributing to the joint endeavour of Hong Kong and Guangdong to support and lead the Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Greater Bay Area (Greater Bay Area) in the economic development and opening up of the country. Key items in various areas include measures:
- to explore enhancements of the policies on cross-boundary transport arrangements for the Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macao Bridge and of relevant immigration policies;
- to effectively implement the policy on the cross-boundary usage of scientific research funds, and further facilitate the payment of funds across the boundary;
- to continue to deepen the implementation of measures aimed at relaxing the entry threshold for Hong Kong services in terms of business scope, equity shareholding restrictions, geographical location, qualification requirements, etc;
- to explore expanding the pilot scheme for Hong Kong residents to open types II or III Mainland personal bank accounts remotely by attestation through a wider bank coverage, enhancement of the account opening process, and the promotion of remote onboarding arrangement;
- to refine policies on the provision of free education, examinations, and so forth for children of Hong Kong residents who have relocated to Guangdong together with their parents, and to ensure that they are provided with basic education services in accordance with the regulations of their place of residence;
- to develop a robust joint epidemic prevention and control mechanism, and strengthen timely communication, coordination and connection in information exchanges, preventive measures and boundary control points;
- to improve and implement policies and measures facilitating property purchases by Hong Kong residents in Guangdong;
- to assist Hong Kong residents in Guangdong who are not under employment but can meet the relevant conditions to participate in the basic pension for urban and rural residents in the places where their residence permits are issued, and be eligible for the corresponding treatment and financial subsidies; and
- to support enhanced cooperation amongst enterprises and professional sectors from Hong Kong and Guangdong, provide the industries from the two places with project information and opportunities, and encourage Hong Kong enterprises to join Guangdong's "go global" industry alliances.
The spokesperson said, "The Government of the HKSAR will co-operate with the Guangdong Provincial Government as soon as possible to implement the measures in the 2020 Work Plan and to proactively take forward the development of the Greater Bay Area."
The Hong Kong/Guangdong Co-operation Joint Conference was established in 1998, and Hong Kong and Guangdong, upon receiving approval from the State Council, signed the Framework Agreement on Hong Kong/Guangdong Co-operation in 2010, establishing a clear co-operation mechanism for the two sides. The Outline Development Plan promulgated by the Central Government in February 2019 signified a new milestone in Hong Kong/Guangdong co-operation under the framework of the development of the Greater Bay Area. The Government of the HKSAR will continue to strengthen the co-operation with the Guangdong Provincial Government, set out clear directions and goals on the implementation of the Outline Development Plan and further deepen the collaboration between Hong Kong and Guangdong, as well as strive for policy innovation and breakthroughs, with a view to creating more opportunities for the residents of both Hong Kong and Guangdong.
Ends/Friday, October 30, 2020
Issued at HKT 17:00
Issued at HKT 17:00