Go to main content
KWH announces a preliminary positive case of COVID-19
The following is issued on behalf of the Hospital Authority:

     The spokesperson for Kwong Wah Hospital (KWH) today (August 4) made the following announcement concerning a preliminary positive case of COVID-19 infection:

     An 81-year-old male patient with chronic disease attended the Accident and Emergency Department (AED) of KWH on July 22 due to diarrhea. The patient was then admitted to a surveillance ward and COVID-19 test was arranged for him. The test result was negative and the patient was transferred to the general medical ward for treatment on the same day. The patient was later discharged from the hospital on July 29.

     The patient presented with cough and diarrhea on July 31 and attended the AED of KWH again due to fever on August 3. His nasopharyngeal swab specimen was tested and was preliminary positive for COVID-19. The patient was transferred to Intensive Care Unit (ICU) of Queen Mary Hospital today for isolation and treatment with serious condition.
     The hospital checked his previous admission records and found that a 69-year-old male patient who stayed in the same cubicle with the patient on July 22 was confirmed with COVID-19 infection (case number: 2282) and transferred to isolation ward on the same day. His condition later deteriorated and was transferred to ICU of Princess Margaret Hospital on August 1.  The relationship between the two COVID-19 cases was under investigation.
     According to the guideline of Centre for Health Protection (CHP), the infectious period was two days before onset of symptoms. The hospital's infection control team immediately conducted contact tracing and confirmed that seven patients had stayed in the same cubicle with the 81-year-old tested preliminary positive patient and were therefore classified as close contacts. Among the patients, one passed away due to his underlying disease. For the remaining five patients who were staying in KWH were being quarantined and viral tests had been arranged for them. One of the five patients was tested negative and results for the other four patients were pending. CHP would follow up on the quarantine arrangements for the remaining one patient who had been discharged. Besides, four male patients who had stayed in the same cubicle with the 69-year-old male patient were also classified as close contacts. Quarantine would be arranged for the two patients who were still hospitalised. Viral tests will be arranged for the remaining two discharged patients.

     15 healthcare workers provided treatment and care to the patient were equipped with appropriate personal protective equipment in accordance with the infection control guidelines of the Hospital Authority. No staff member had been classified as close contact at the moment. As a precautionary measure, the hospital had arranged viral tests and medical surveillance for colleagues concerned.
     The hospital had arranged thorough cleansing and disinfection of the ward concerned and reminded patients to wear masks and ensure hand hygiene at all times. The hospital would continue to closely monitor the health of staff members and patients and also maintain communication with the CHP to follow up on the latest situation.
Ends/Tuesday, August 4, 2020
Issued at HKT 23:44
Today's Press Releases