Prince of Wales Hospital announces a renal patient has been preliminarily tested positive for COVID-19 after discharge

The following is issued on behalf of the Hospital Authority:

     The spokesperson for the Prince of Wales Hospital today (July 23) announced that a renal patient has been preliminarily tested positive for COVID-19 after discharge:
     A 46-year-old female renal patient received peritoneal dialysis training at the hospital's Integrated Renal Care Centre from July 13 to July 15. On July 15, the patient presented with fever and was admitted to the enhanced surveillance ward. COVID-19 test was arranged and the test result was negative. The patient had peritonitis and she was transferred to the general medical ward for treatment on the same day.
     The patient was later discharged from the hospital and transferred to an elderly home on July 21. She attended the Accident & Emergency Department of the Alice Ho Miu Ling Nethersole Hospital (AHNH) due to fever and sore throat on July 22. COVID-19 test was conducted and the result was positive. She is currently being treated under isolation at AHNH in stable condition.
     After being notified of the case, the hospital has immediately suspended patient admission to the medical ward in which the patient had stayed and has arranged thorough cleansing and disinfection of the ward. The infection control team has conducted contact tracing and confirmed that nine patients had stayed in the same cubicle with the infected patient and these patients are identified as close contacts. Four of the patients who are still hospitalised have been transferred to isolation wards. COVID-19 tests have been arranged and the test results were all negative. The Centre for Health Protection (CHP) will follow up on the necessary tests and quarantine arrangements for the remaining five patients who have been discharged.
     Another patient attended peritoneal dialysis training with the infected patient from July 13 to July 14 at the same centre. He and his wife are also identified as close contacts. Necessary tests and quarantine will be arranged by CHP.
     Hospital staff had been wearing appropriate personal protective equipment in accordance with the infection control guidelines while providing treatment and care to the patient. No staff member has been identified as a close contact. As a precautionary measure, the hospital has arranged virus tests and medical surveillance for colleagues concerned.
     The patient had been living with her family before admission and one of her family members was tested positive for COVID-19 on July 22. It is believed that the infection is community-acquired.
     During her hospital stay, the patient had been wearing face mask, had not received high-risk medical procedures nor shared medical equipment with other patients. The infection risk is assessed to be low.
     The hospital will closely follow up on the condition of patients and staff and communicate with CHP.

Ends/Thursday, July 23, 2020
Issued at HKT 20:40