HKMA and banking industry launch Banking Talent Programme
The Hong Kong Monetary Authority (HKMA) and the banking industry jointly launched the Banking Talent Programme today (June 4) to nurture young talents for the industry, and provide participants with an opportunity to better prepare for future careers in the banking sector. The Programme targets fresh graduates from local universities who will be offered six-month work opportunities and industry-specific training.
The Programme is supported by the Hong Kong Association of Banks (HKAB) and all local universities. Further details of the Programme are set out below:
- Job opportunities: Around 300 openings will be offered by banks, Stored Value Facilities operators, together with the HKMA. Work opportunities will be provided in areas ranging from front-line operations to back-office functions in retail and commercial banking;
- Professional training: A series of induction seminars as well as professional training courses will be organised by the HKMA, in collaboration with the Hong Kong Academy of Finance, the Hong Kong Institute of Bankers (HKIB) and reputable industry practitioners;
- Programme period: The Programme will start from early September 2020 and last for a period of six months;
- Financial support: The HKMA will reimburse participating firms up to 50 per cent of the monthly salary of Programme participants, which is HK$12,000 per month, and subsidise the course fees for the relevant professional training courses attended by the graduates;
- Eligibility: Students graduating with a bachelor's degree in 2020 from local universities may apply for the Programme, and the disciplines preferred will depend on the work nature of specific jobs and the need of participating firms; and
- Application: Application will open on June 15 and the results will be announced by participating firms around end of July after selection interviews.
The Chief Executive of the HKMA, Mr Eddie Yue, said, "Joining the job market during a recession can be very stressful. It is therefore encouraging that the banking industry is providing full support to our new Banking Talent Programme, which aims to provide both short-term relief and valuable learning opportunities to young graduates who aspire to develop their career in the banking sector. In turn, the Programme also benefits the industry by expanding the talent pool to support the future growth of Hong Kong's banking sector."
Further information about the job opportunities provided by the participating firms and other details will be posted on the website of the HKIB (www.hkib.org), the administrator of the Programme, from June 15.
Ends/Thursday, June 4, 2020
Issued at HKT 12:00
Issued at HKT 12:00