Latest arrangements on Transport Department services
Licensing and related services
(1) The Licensing Offices at Admiralty, Cheung Sha Wan, Kwun Tong and Sha Tin will suspend walk-in counter services, but will continue to process licensing applications submitted by applicants with scheduled appointments, by post or online (except for the direct issue of a full Hong Kong driving licence).
Applicants who have made an online appointment for renewal of a full driving licence/vehicle licence or an application for an international driving permit from February 10 to February 14 can visit the Licensing Office concerned at the scheduled time. Applicants with an appointment made for the period from 9am to 10am should visit the Licensing Office concerned on the scheduled appointment day after 10am.
Members of the public without prior booking may submit applications by post or online, or via the drop-in boxes placed at each Licensing Office from 10am to 5pm from Monday to Friday. Those submitting an application by post or via drop-in box should put the completed application form, all necessary documents and the appropriate fee (by crossed cheque payable to either "The Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region" or "The Government of the HKSAR") into an envelope. Original identity documents and cash must not be sent by post or drop-in box. Members of the public should submit applications to the relevant Licensing Office in accordance with the types of licensing services currently provided by them.
Under the limited service arrangements, the TD will as far as practicable accord priority to processing renewal applications for licences/permits for which the validity period has expired or is about to expire. The TD appeals to members of the public to submit an renewal application at a later time if the validity period of a licence is longer than 14 days.
Upon receipt of the completed application form, all necessary documents and the appropriate fee, the TD will send out the licence/permit for which application has been successful by registered mail as soon as practicable. If an application requires checking of an original identity document, or if necessary for other reasons, the TD will contact the applicant to make arrangements.
(2) The Public Vehicles Unit at Admiralty will suspend counter services from February 10. Members of the public can submit their applications for public vehicle licences using the drop-in box placed at the Hong Kong Licensing Office from 10am to 5am from Monday to Friday. The TD will process the applications according to established procedures and deliver the respective licences/permits/approval letters to the applicants upon completion of processing such applications.
(3) The Vehicle Records Office, the Driving Licence Records Office and the Driving Offence Points Office at Admiralty will suspend counter services from February 10. Those with enquiries relating to the collection of a driving licence after a disqualification period should contact the Driving Licence Records Office or the Driving Offence Points Office from 10am to 5pm from Monday to Friday.
(4) The Cross Boundary Unit at Sheung Wan will suspend counter services from February 10. Members of the public can submit their applications using the drop-in box placed at the Cross Boundary Unit from 10am to 5pm from Monday to Friday. The TD will contact individual applicants to follow up on the applications.
Driving test services
(5) The TD's driving test centres and the Driving Test Appointment Office at Cheung Sha Wan will suspend services from February 10. All driving tests (road tests) originally scheduled for February 10 and thereafter will be suspended and the written test (Part A of the driving test) and the taxi written test will continue to be suspended until further notice. The TD will notify the affected candidates of the arrangements after resumption of the driving test appointment services.
Candidates who would like to submit applications for test postponement/temporary cancellation of a driving test appointment or change of driving test region can submit the applications within two weeks after resumption of the services of the Driving Test Appointment Office. In addition, the online booking service for driving test appointments and the telephone booking service for repeater early test appointments will be suspended until further notice. Candidates who have already applied for repeater early test appointments can make payment at the Hong Kong Licensing Office and the Kowloon Licensing Office within two working days after resumption of the counter services. For enquiries about driving test appointments, please contact the Driving Test Appointment Office from 10am and 5pm from Monday to Friday by phone.
Vehicle examination services
(6) The TD's Vehicle Examination Centres will provide vehicle examination services for vehicles with an appointment from Monday to Friday.
For enquiries, members of the public can contact the offices concerned of the TD at the following numbers:
|Hong Kong Licensing Office||2804 2636|
|Kowloon Licensing Office||2150 7728|
|Kwun Tong Licensing Office||2775 6835|
|Sha Tin Licensing Office||2606 1468|
|Public Vehicles Unit||2804 2574|
|Driving Licence Records Office||2804 2596|
|Driving Offence Points Office||2804 2594|
|Driving Test Centre/Driving Test Appointment Office||2771 7723|
|Cross Boundary Unit||2543 2114|
|To Kwa Wan Vehicle Examination Centre||2364 7211/2333 3112|
|Sheung Kwai Chung Vehicle Examination Centre||2424 5215|
|Kowloon Bay Vehicle Examination Centre||2759 7036|
|New Kowloon Bay Vehicle Examination Centre||2751 8862|
The TD apologises for inconvenience caused to members of the public as it is unable to provide full services due to the novel coronavirus. To reduce the risk of virus transmission, members of the public are advised to submit applications after the TD's resumption of full services unless there are urgent needs.
Drivers and registered vehicle owners are reminded that any person who drives a vehicle on a road or provides transportation services should possess a valid licence/permit in accordance with the law.
Ends/Saturday, February 8, 2020
Issued at HKT 16:55
Issued at HKT 16:55