Go to main content
Police severely condemn massive violent protests
     Massive violent protests again broke out in multiple districts in Hong Kong yesterday (October 1). Police express severe condemnation against rioters.
     Despite Police’s objection, some people advocated unlawful protests in various districts. Since around 1pm yesterday, a large number of protestors participated in unlawful assemblies in districts including Causeway Bay, Sha Tin, Wong Tai Sin, Sham Shui Po, Tuen Mun and Tsuen Wan. They blocked carriageways, set up barricades with miscellaneous objects and randomly conducted arson, disregarding the safety of nearby residents. A number of MTR stations were seriously vandalised. Some rioters even hurled petrol bombs at trains and onto railways in MTR stations, without regard for the serious consequences of their act. Some rioters set fire to Government complexes and damaged the offices of councillors and shops. Their acts were completely lawless. So far over 180 persons were arrested for offences of taking part in a riot, unlawful assembly, assaulting Police officer and possession of offensive weapon, etc.

     In the operations, at least 25 Police officers were injured. In a dispersal operation outside Tuen Mun Town Hall at around 2pm, officers were surrounded by a large group of rioters who launched attacks with bricks and miscellaneous hard objects. The rioters later threw corrosive fluid onto the people at scene, causing burn injuries to the officers and reporters. At 3.40pm, a Police vehicle travelling at the junction of Waterloo Road and Nathan Road in Yau Ma Tei was sieged by radical protestors. When officers took dispersal action, they were attacked by the rioters with various hard objects including bamboo sticks. Having given repeated warnings to the protestors in vain and with their lives under serious threat, an officer fired two warning shots into the sky to protect their own safety.

     At about 4pm, Police officers again encountered riotous attack while conducting dispersal operation on Tai Ho Road in Tsuen Wan. A large group of rioters attacked officers with iron poles, seriously threatening their lives. Having given warning but in vain, an officer fired a shot at a male attacker. The 18-year-old man was injured and rushed to Princess Margaret Hospital in conscious state. Officers also fired two warning shots on Sha Tsui Road in Tsuen Wan and one warning shot on Shatin Pass Road in Wong Tai Sin after giving repeated warnings to the protestors in vain and with their lives under serious threat.

     Since the situation deteriorated rapidly, Police conducted dispersal operation with appropriate force, including tear gases, rubber bullets and bean bag rounds. The specialised crowd management vehicles were also deployed to stop the violent acts of the protestors.

     Into the night, rioters continued to vandalise public properties across the territory and massively attack police stations with petrol bombs, seriously endangering public safety. Appallingly, some rioters gathered and beat up bystanders, taking the law into their own hands. They even launched fireworks at residence.

     Since June, radical protestors have been repeatedly organising unlawful activities. Their violent acts are spreading and escalating drastically, including the use of fatal violence to attack Police officers. Public safety has been jeopardised and the public order of the whole city is being pushed to the verge of a very dangerous situation. Police reiterate that no violent behavior will be tolerated. Police will continue to take resolute enforcement action so as to safeguard the city’s public safety and bring all lawbreakers to justice.
Ends/Wednesday, October 2, 2019
Issued at HKT 2:21
Today's Press Releases