Go to main content
Police strongly condemn radical and violent acts
     Police severely condemn the violent acts of radical protestors at the violent incidents happened at various locations in east and west Kowloon from yesterday night (August 3) to the small hours today (August 4).

     There were public events in Mong Kong district yesterday afternoon. At about 4pm, a large group of protestors deviated from Police’s agreed public procession route, blocking Nathan Road while marching towards Tsim Sha Tsui. Some protestors removed the roadside fences and set road blocks at various major crossroads, causing serious traffic obstruction. The report room service of police stations in Yau Ma Tei, Tsim Sha Tsui, Mong Kok, as well as the Police Reporting Centre in MTR Hung Hom Station was suspended, affecting Police’s provision of emergency services to the public.

     When the protestors arrived at Tsim Sha Tsui, they went to Hung Hom via Salisbury Road. They used water barriers, fences and other miscellaneous objects to block both traffic lanes of the toll plaza of Cross-Harbour Tunnel in Hung Hom, leading to complete closure of both ways of the tunnel tubes, causing serious traffic obstruction.

     After that, a large group of protesters assembled in Tsim Sha Tsui illegally again. Some radical protestors started to surround Tsim Sha Tsui Police Station, vandalising the facilities outside and setting fire at various locations. Furthermore, some protestors hurled bricks and hard objects into the Station by some large catapults, damaging over 20 vehicles inside and causing serious threats to the safety of people at scene.

     With multiple arsons and criminal damages reported, thoroughfares extensively blocked, the situation in the vicinity of Nathan Road in Tsim Sha Tsui further deteriorated. Police urged members of the public assembling at scene to leave as soon as possible through on-site broadcast, social media and press releases. Such warnings were repeated but to no avail, Police then took dispersal actions respectively in Tsim Sha Tsui and Mong Kok.

     During the dispersal operations, some violent protestors hurled petrol bombs, bricks, glass bottles and large amount of miscellaneous objects at police officers. The protestors also directed high-power laser at the officers, committed arson at various locations and pushed towards the officers a burning rubbish bin. The scene became increasingly chaotic when the protestors violently attacked other people with different views. Therefore, Police had to use appropriate force including the discharge of tear gas to stop the violent acts.

     At around the same time, another group of protestors marched towards the direction of Wong Tai Sin via Prince Edward Road East. The report room services of Wong Tai Sin Police Station and Kowloon City Police Station were temporarily suspended. Much tension arose at the standoff between the protestors and Police officers at a bus station in Wong Tai Sin. When officers were trying to retreat from the scene by Police vehicles, some radical protestors surrounded them and vandalised the vehicles. Also, the protestors hurled miscellaneous objects at the officers and vehicles, and some even used fire extinguishers to attack the officers at scene.
     A gang of violent protestors subsequently surrounded Wong Tai Sin Disciplined Services Quarters, hurling fireworks and numerous miscellaneous objects into the quarters, breaking the glass windows of lower-floor residential units, damaging the gates of the car parks and other Government property. The safety of the residents was seriously threatened. In face of the chaotic situation, tear gas was launched to disperse the protestors. Shortly after that, protestors turned to Lung Cheung Road and blocked it with water barriers and miscellaneous objects, causing severe traffic obstruction to the thoroughfare. Protestors also blocked the traffic lanes of the Cross-Harbour Tunnel in Hung Hom again.

     During the operation, Police arrested over 20 persons for offences including unlawful assembly and assault etc.

     Police strongly condemn the radical protestors who disregarded law and order. Resolute enforcement actions will be taken against all illegal and violent acts. Police are capable and determined to maintain law and order and will not tolerate any violence.

Ends/Sunday, August 4, 2019
Issued at HKT 6:56
Today's Press Releases