BFAC receives briefing on proposal to impose statutory cooling-off period for beauty and fitness services consumer contracts
The Business Facilitation Advisory Committee held its 39th meeting today (March 14). At the meeting, the Commerce and Economic Development Bureau briefed members and solicited their views on a proposal to impose a statutory cooling-off period for beauty and fitness services consumer contracts.
The Committee also noted the work of its three task forces:
Wholesale and Retail Task Force (WRTF)
* The Department of Health plans to roll out Phase II of the Pharmaceuticals Licence Application and Movement Monitoring System (PLAMMS) to cover other pharmaceutical products in Q4 2019 tentatively. The WRTF welcomed the PLAMMS, which facilitates the trade via import and export licences applications.
* To enhance food safety, licensing control over sale of hairy crabs came into effect on September 3, 2018. The WRTF appreciated the licensing control on sale of hairy crabs, which protects public health, as well as the Food and Environmental Hygiene Department (FEHD)'s efforts in addressing the trade's concerns.
* The Centre for Food Safety of FEHD and the Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department briefed the WRTF on Government's preventive measures and contingency plans in response to African Swine Fever (ASF). The WRTF welcomed the Government's proactive preventive measures against ASF, and appreciated the Government's efforts in protecting local pigs from ASF infection and ensuring sufficient supply of live pigs for consumption by the public.
Food Business and Related Services Task Force (FRSTF)
* To promote the requirements of the Dutiable Commodities (Amendment) Ordinance 2018 to the trade (i.e. no person shall sell or supply intoxicating liquor to minors in the course of business), the Department of Health explained the purpose and main requirements of the (Amendment) Ordinance to the Task Force before the (Amendment) Ordinance came into effect on November 30, 2018 to facilitate trade compliance.
* In the light of the breach of licence conditions regarding factory canteens serving public customers, the FEHD explained the new regulatory measures, consulted the new application criteria for factory canteen licences and listened to the trade's concerns.
* For the protection of public health, the Water Supplies Department and the Electrical and Mechanical Services Department briefed members on the regulatory regime and current policies of Fresh Water Cooling Towers and recommended measures for the trade to comply with the regulatory requirement.
*The FRSTF appreciated the department's efforts in explaining the regulatory requirements, consulting the trade on proposed new regulations and listening to their concerns.
Task Force on Business Liaison Groups (BLGTF)
* In view of the requirements of the Dutiable Commodities (Amendment) Ordinance 2018 affecting various trades, the Department of Health also briefed the Task Force on the main requirements of the (Amendment) Ordinance. The Task Force thanked the Department of Health for promoting stakeholders' understanding of the Amendment (Ordinance) and publicising its implementation through various channels to facilitate trade compliance.
* In addition, in order to facilitate trades' early acquisition of water supply for commencement of business, the Water Supplies Department has implemented a series of measures to facilitate water supply applications. The Fire Services Department has also enhanced the work process to expedite the approval of general building plans and acceptance inspections of fire service installations in new buildings. The Task Force appreciated the efforts of the departments concerned in implementing measures to facilitate business.
The Committee also expressed appreciation of the commitment and achievements of the bureaux and departments in further enhancing their business licensing services under the "Be the Smart Regulator" Programme.
Papers for the Committee meeting are available at www.gov.hk/en/business/supportenterprises/bf/advisory/index.htm for public access.
Ends/Thursday, March 14, 2019
Issued at HKT 17:00
Issued at HKT 17:00