Go to main content
Immigration Department responds to media enquiries
     In response to media enquiries, the Immigration Department (ImmD) does not comment on individual cases.

     According to the prevailing practice of the ImmD, Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) passport holder may apply for a replacement passport when his/her HKSAR passport expires. Unless under circumstances such as the passport has been lost, damaged or defaced, or personal particulars in the passport has to be amended, holders may apply for a replacement passport before its expiry.

     For replacement application, the previous passport should be produced to the ImmD for cancellation upon collection of the new one. A corner shall be cut by the ImmD on the previous passport and this cancelled passport shall be returned to the applicant. In case of need, such as the existing passport bears a valid visa, applicant may upon application for replacement of HKSAR passport, also apply to cross link the existing passport with the new passport. Cross linking of HKSAR passports means making an endorsement on both the previous and new passports to the effect that the previous passport bears a visa which is still in force but the previous passport shall be cancelled by means of cutting.

     Any holder therefore shall not in possession of more than one valid HKSAR passport at any time.
Ends/Sunday, December 9, 2018
Issued at HKT 21:39
Today's Press Releases