Go to main content
Queen Elizabeth Hospital announces sentinel event
The following is issued on behalf of the Hospital Authority:

     The spokesperson for Queen Elizabeth Hospital (QEH) made the following announcement today (August 12) regarding a sentinel event:

     A 24-year-old pregnant patient had received regular antenatal check-ups at QEH. She was diagnosed with oligohydramnios and proteinuria. Doctor arranged her to be admitted for an induction of labour during gestation of 38 weeks.

     She was admitted to the hospital at about 8am on August 10 (Friday). After assessment, the medical staff used medication to perform an induction of labour for the woman in the morning and closely monitored the condition of the pregnant patient and her foetus. Their conditions were both stable at the time. The woman suddenly developed short duration of seizure at 10.30pm and the medical staff immediately examined and monitored the patient, but she developed cardiac arrest a few minutes later. The medical staff immediately performed cardiopulmonary resuscitation on the woman and called medical staff of different specialties, including Anaesthesiology, Intensive Care Unit and Paediatrics, to help the resuscitation.

     During the resuscitation, doctors performed an emergency bedside cesarean section and a baby was delivered at 10.45pm. During the process, the medical staff continued to resuscitate the woman where external cardiac massage, intubation and blood transfusion were performed. The medical team kept a closed communication with her husband and relatives. The medical team performed resuscitation for more than three hours but the patient condition was still critical with repeated occurrence of cardiac arrest. Doctors explained the situation to the patient’s husband and relatives. The patient finally succumbed at about 5am on August 11 (Saturday).

     The hospital has referred the case to the Coroner’s court for further follow-up. The baby is now in Neonatal Intensive Care Unit and in serious condition.

     The hospital expresses its deepest condolences to the family. The hospital would continue to closely communicate with the family and provide them with all necessary assistance. The hospital has reported the incident to Hospital Authority Head Office (HAHO) via the Advance Incident Reporting System. An investigation panel will be set up for in-depth investigation. It is expected that the investigation panel report will be completed for submission to the HAHO in eight weeks.
Ends/Sunday, August 12, 2018
Issued at HKT 15:25
Today's Press Releases