Go to main content
Nomination period for Rural By-election gazetted
      The Government gazetted the nomination period for the Rural By-election today (March 29). Seven Rural Representative vacancies will be open for nominations from April 12 to 25.
      The by-election will return one Resident Representative for each of the five Existing Villages, namely Kat Hing Street, Au Ha, Tsung Pak Long, Main Street (East) and Tung Lo Wan. The by-election will also return one Indigenous Inhabitant Representative for each of the two Indigenous Villages, namely Pui O Lo Uk Tsuen and San Tin.
      To be eligible for a Resident Representative By-election, a candidate must be a resident of the Existing Village and must have been a resident of the Village for the six years immediately preceding the nomination. His or her principal residential address must be in the Village and "principal residential address" means the address of the dwelling place at which the candidate resides and which constitutes his or her sole or main home. The candidate must also be a registered elector of the Village. 
      For an Indigenous Inhabitant Representative By-election, a candidate must be an indigenous inhabitant as well as a registered elector of the Indigenous Village and ordinarily reside in Hong Kong.
      All candidates of both categories must be permanent Hong Kong residents aged 21 or above and each candidate must be nominated by at least five registered electors from his or her Village. Each elector may nominate only one candidate. No one can stand as a candidate in more than one Village.
      Nomination forms are available at the Home Affairs Enquiry Centres in the New Territories, the Home Affairs Department (HAD) and the Rural Representative Election website (www.had.gov.hk/rre). Nomination forms must be submitted in person to the Returning Officer of the respective Village by 5pm on April 25.
      A spokesman for the HAD said that if there is more than one validly nominated candidate for the same Existing Village or Indigenous Village, a poll would be held for that Village on May 20 (Sunday). Eligible electors will receive a polling notice which specifies the date, time and place of the poll.
      For enquiries, please call 2152 1521.
Ends/Thursday, March 29, 2018
Issued at HKT 11:00
Today's Press Releases