LCQ7: Police provides efficient and appropriate police service
At present, Yuen Long Division, Pat Heung Division and Tin Shui Wai Division are established under the Yuen Long Police District. In this connection, will the Government inform this Council:
(1) of the respective numbers of crimes, together with a breakdown, which occurred in the aforesaid three police divisions in the past three years;
(2) of the respective current establishments of front-line police officers in the three police divisions; whether it will consider expanding the establishments of police officers in these divisions; if so, of the details; if not, the reasons for that;
(3) of the respective current police-to-population ratios in various police divisions across the territory (set out in descending order); whether the relevant ratios in the three divisions are lower than the territory-wide average; if so, whether it will consider boosting the former to bring them on par with the territory-wide average; and
(4) given that the present population in Tin Shui Wai district has exceeded 300 000, whether the authorities will consider upgrading Tin Shui Wai Division to a police district; if so, of the implementation schedule; if not, the reasons for that?
The Yuen Long District comes under the New Territories North Region of the Police, and the Yuen Long Division, Pat Heung Division and Tin Shui Wai Division are established under it. The Police have been closely monitoring the crime situation and policing needs of the district, and adequate police strength has been deployed to maintain law and order having regard to relevant factors such as community development and population growth.
My reply to the various parts of the question is as follows:
(1) The numbers and breakdown of crimes in Yuen Long Division, Pat Heung Division and Tin Shui Wai Division in the past three years are at Annex I.
(2) and (3) The current establishment of police officers in Yuen Long Division, Pat Heung Division and Tin Shui Wai Division are 298, 65 and 370 respectively. The ratio of establishment of police officers to population of all police divisions in Hong Kong are at Annex II. The police-to-population ratio of these three divisions is approximately in the middle region among all police divisions.
To ensure the provision of efficient and appropriate police service to the communities in Yuen Long, Pat Heung and Tin Shui Wai, the Yuen Long Police District has always been closely monitoring the law and order and traffic situations in the district and flexibly deploys resources of the police district, including providing support from the crime investigation unit of Yuen Long District Headquarters when necessary. Besides, New Territories North Region will also from time to time deploy frontline staff from its operations wing and crime wing to Yuen Long Police District to provide support so as to meet local operational needs.
The Police review their policing arrangements of various districts from time to time so as to meet policing needs. Apart from population and projected population growth, the Police will also take into account other characteristics of the district, such as land use, traffic and infrastructural developments, geographical characteristics, crime trends, etc.
The Police currently have no plan to expand the establishment of police officers in the various divisions under the Yuen Long Police District.
(4) As to whether we would consider upgrading Tin Shui Wai Division to a police district, generally speaking, in studying whether it is necessary to upgrade a division to a Police district, the Police will consider multiple factors, including population and projected population growth, traffic and infrastructural developments, geographical characteristics, crime rate and crime trends, etc., so as to meet policing needs and the public's demand for Police service.
Ends/Wednesday, November 22, 2017
Issued at HKT 17:10
Issued at HKT 17:10