Go to main content
Nomination period for Rural By-election gazetted
     The Government gazetted the nomination period for the Rural By-election today (October 20). Eight Rural Representative vacancies will be open for nominations from November 2 to 15.

     The by-election will return one Resident Representative for each of the six Existing Villages, namely Lam Che and Nim Un, Kwan Tei, Wu Shek Kok, Main Street (East), Tai Po Mei and Yuen Leng Yip Uk. The by-election will also return one Indigenous Inhabitant Representative for each of the two Indigenous Villages, namely Ham Tin and Sha Po Tsuen.

     To be eligible for a Resident Representative By-election, a candidate must be a resident of the Existing Village and must have been a resident of the Village for the six years immediately preceding the nomination. His or her principal residential address must be in the Village and "principal residential address" means the address of the dwelling place at which the candidate resides and which constitutes his or her sole or main home. The candidate must also be a registered elector of the Village.  

     For an Indigenous Inhabitant Representative By-election, a candidate must be an indigenous inhabitant as well as a registered elector of the Indigenous Village and ordinarily reside in Hong Kong. 

     All candidates of both categories must be permanent Hong Kong residents aged 21 or above and each candidate must be nominated by at least five registered electors from his or her Village. Each elector may nominate only one candidate. No one can stand as a candidate in more than one Village. 

     Nomination forms are available at the Home Affairs Enquiry Centres in the New Territories, the Home Affairs Department (HAD) and the Rural Representative Election website (www.had.gov.hk/rre). Nomination forms must be submitted in person to the Returning Officer of the respective Village by 5pm on November 15. 

     A spokesman for the HAD said that if there is more than one validly nominated candidate for the same Existing Village or Indigenous Village, a poll would be held for that Village on December 10 (Sunday). Eligible electors will receive a polling notice which specifies the date, time and place of the poll.

     For enquiries, please call 2152 1521.
Ends/Friday, October 20, 2017
Issued at HKT 10:55
Today's Press Releases