All gazetted beaches continue to meet Water Quality Objective (with photos)

     The water quality of all Hong Kong's 41 gazetted beaches has met the required standard for bathing for seven consecutive years since 2010, indicating a sustainable improvement in the water quality of local beaches, according to the latest report by the Environmental Protection Department (EPD).
     In 2016, 18 (or 44 per cent) of the 41 gazetted beaches were ranked as "Good" and the remaining 23 (or 56 per cent) as "Fair". As in 2015, full compliance with the bacteriological Water Quality Objective (WQO) for bathing waters was maintained.

     An EPD spokesman said, "The percentage of beaches complying with the WQO improved from 74 per cent in 1986 to 100 per cent in 2010 (all 41 beaches), and the improvement has been maintained since then.

     "These improvements are the result of continuous efforts of the Government to implement pollution control and environmental improvement measures such as the implementation of the Water Pollution Control Ordinance, Livestock Waste Control Scheme, Harbour Area Treatment Scheme, Sewerage Master Plans and extension of sewerage to the beach hinterland over the past years.

     "The EPD will maintain close monitoring of all bathing beaches to ensure that this achievement is sustained and that beach water quality can continue to meet the WQO."

     The 2016 beach water quality report can be found at EPD's websites ( and

Ends/Friday, March 31, 2017
Issued at HKT 12:00