Traditional Chinese Simplified Chinese Email this article news.gov.hk
Provisional statistics of restaurant receipts and purchases for the third quarter of 2015
************************************************************

     The Census and Statistics Department (C&SD) released the latest provisional figures on restaurant receipts and purchases today (November 3).

     The value of total receipts of the restaurants sector in the third quarter of 2015, provisionally estimated at $26.2 billion, increased by 3.3% over a year earlier. Over the same period, the provisional value of total purchases by restaurants increased by 3.2% to $9.0 billion.

     After netting out the effect of price changes over the same period, the volume of total restaurant receipts fell by 1.0% in the third quarter of 2015 compared with a year earlier.

     Analysed by type of restaurant and comparing the third quarter of 2015 with the third quarter of 2014, total receipts of Chinese restaurants increased by 0.7% in value but decreased by 3.5% in volume. Total receipts of non-Chinese restaurants increased by 4.2% in value but decreased by 0.5% in volume. Total receipts of fast food shops increased by 8.9% in value and 4.9% in volume. Total receipts of miscellaneous eating and drinking places increased by 5.8% in value and 1.2% in volume. As for bars, total receipts decreased by 3.1% in value and 7.0% in volume.

     Based on the seasonally adjusted series, total restaurant receipts decreased by 0.1% in value and 1.2% in volume in the third quarter of 2015 compared with the preceding quarter.

     Comparing the first three quarters of 2015 with the same period in 2014, total restaurant receipts increased by 4.0% in value but decreased by 0.4% in volume.

     To facilitate better understanding of the short-term business performance of the restaurants sector, statistics in respect of the restaurant receipts and purchases in individual months of the reference quarter are also compiled.

     Analysed by month, the value of total receipts of the restaurants sector increased by 3.3%, 2.2% and 4.5% respectively in July, August and September 2015, compared with the corresponding months a year earlier.

     After discounting the effect of price changes, total restaurant receipts decreased by 1.1% and 2.1% in volume respectively in July and August 2015, but increased by 0.2% in volume in September 2015, compared with the corresponding months a year earlier.

Further information

     Table 1 presents the revised figures of restaurant receipts by type of restaurant and total purchases by the restaurants sector for the second quarter of 2015 as well as the provisional figures for the third quarter of 2015.

     Table 2 and Table 3 present the revised value and volume indices respectively, of restaurant receipts by type of restaurant for the second quarter of 2015 and the provisional indices for the third quarter of 2015.

     Table 4 presents the year-on-year rate of change in total restaurant receipts in value and volume terms based on the original quarterly series, as well as the quarter-to-quarter rate of change based on the seasonally adjusted series.

     The revised figures of restaurant receipts and purchases for the third quarter of 2015 (with breakdown by month) will be released through the website of the C&SD (www.censtatd.gov.hk/hkstat/sub/bbs.jsp) and relevant publications of the Department from December 18, 2015.

     The classification of restaurants follows the Hong Kong Standard Industrial Classification (HSIC) Version 2.0, which is used in various economic surveys for classifying economic units into different industry classes.

     More detailed statistics are given in the Report on Quarterly Survey of Restaurant Receipts and Purchases. Users can download this publication free of charge at the website of the C&SD (www.censtatd.gov.hk/hkstat/sub/sp320.jsp?productCode=B1080002).

     Users who have enquiries about the survey results may contact the Distribution Services Statistics Section of the C&SD (Tel: 3903 7401; email: [email protected]).

Ends/Tuesday, November 3, 2015
Issued at HKT 16:31

NNNN

Print this page