Nomination period for Rural By-election gazetted

     The Government gazetted the nomination period for the Rural By-election today (April 24). Forty-two Rural Representative vacancies will be open for nominations from May 5 to 18.

     The by-election will cover 35 Resident Representatives for 35 Existing Villages, namely Lo So Shing, Po Toi, Yung Shue Ha, Keung Shan, Upper and Luk Wu, Sha Lo Wan, On Lok Tsuen (East), Lai Chi Wo, Luk Keng Chan Uk, Luk Keng Wong Uk, Yin Kong, Tsung Yuen Ha, Che Keng Tuk, Lung Mei, Ma Nam Wat, O Long, Tung A, Tin Fu Tsai, Tuen Mun Kau Hui, Tai Tan, Uk Tau, Kau Liu Ha, Lin Au, Lei Uk, Ma Po Mei, Pak Ngau Shek Ha Tsuen, Shuen Wan Wai Ha, Shui Wo, Tai Po Kau, Tai Yeung Che, Tin Liu Ha, Tong Sheung Tsuen, Sai Lau Kok, Shek Wai Kok, Tsing Fai Tong, Tsuen Wan Sam Tsuen and Yeung Uk. The by-election will also cover 7 Indigenous Inhabitant Representatives for 7 Indigenous Villages, namely Po Toi, Sok Kwu Wan, Chek Lap Kok, Long Ke, Wong Keng Tsai, Tai Shui Hang and Kau Liu Ha.

     To be eligible for an Indigenous Inhabitant Representative By-election, a candidate must be an indigenous inhabitant as well as a registered elector of the Indigenous Village and ordinarily reside in Hong Kong.

     For a Resident Representative By-election, a candidate must be a resident of the Existing Village and must have been a resident of the Village for the six years immediately preceding the nomination. His or her principal residential address must be in the Village and "principal residential address" means the address of the dwelling place at which the candidate resides and which constitutes his or her sole or main home. The candidate must also be a registered elector of the Village.

     All candidates of both categories must be permanent Hong Kong residents aged 21 or above and each candidate must be nominated by at least five registered electors from his or her Village. Each elector may nominate only one candidate. No one can stand as a candidate in more than one Village.

     Nomination forms are available at the Public Enquiry Service Centres of the New Territories District Offices, the Home Affairs Department (HAD) and the Rural Representative Election website ( Nomination forms must be submitted in person to the Returning Officer of the respective Village, by 5pm on May 18.

     A spokesman for the HAD said that if there was more than one validly nominated candidate for the same Indigenous Village or Existing Village, a poll would be held for that Village on June 14 (Sunday). Eligible electors will receive a polling notice which specifies the date, time and place of the poll.

     For enquiries, please call 2152 1521.

Ends/Friday, April 24, 2015
Issued at HKT 10:50