Traditional Chinese Simplified Chinese Email this article news.gov.hk
Statistics on vessels, port cargo and containers for the second quarter of 2013
*********************************************************

     The Census and Statistics Department (C&SD) today (September 9) released statistics on vessels, port cargo and containers for the second quarter of 2013.

     In the second quarter of 2013, total port cargo throughput decreased by 1% compared with a year earlier to 68.7 million tonnes. Within this total, inward port cargo recorded virtually no change at 40.7 million tonnes, while outward port cargo decreased by 1% to 28.0 million tonnes.

     For the first half of 2013, total port cargo throughput decreased by 2% compared with a year earlier to 131.2 million tonnes. Within this total, inward and outward port cargo dropped by 1% and 3% to 76.3 million tonnes and 54.9 million tonnes respectively.

     On a seasonally adjusted quarter-to-quarter comparison, total port cargo throughput recorded virtually no change in the second quarter of 2013. Within this total, inward port cargo went up by 4%, while outward port cargo dropped by 5%. The seasonally adjusted series enables more meaningful shorter-term comparison to be made for discerning possible variations in trends.

Port cargo

     Within port cargo, seaborne cargo decreased by 7% compared with a year earlier to 46.5 million tonnes, while river cargo increased by 15% to 22.2 million tonnes in the second quarter of 2013.

     Within inward port cargo, imports increased by 4% in the second quarter of 2013 compared with a year earlier to 20.8 million tonnes, while inward transhipment dropped by 5% to 19.9 million tonnes. For outward port cargo, exports (including domestic exports and re-exports) increased by 5% compared with a year earlier to 8.7 million tonnes, while outward transhipment dropped by 3% to 19.4 million tonnes.

     Within port cargo, seaborne cargo decreased by 6% in the first half of 2013 compared with a year earlier to 89.0 million tonnes, while river cargo increased by 8% to 42.3 million tonnes.

     Within inward port cargo, imports increased by 3% in the first half of 2013 compared with a year earlier to 37.6 million tonnes, while inward transhipment decreased by 4% to 38.6 million tonnes. For outward port cargo, exports increased by 1% compared with a year earlier to 17.8 million tonnes, while outward transhipment decreased by 5% to 37.1 million tonnes.

     The detailed port cargo statistics are summarised in Table 1.

     The main countries/territories of loading for inward port cargo and countries/territories of discharge for outward port cargo are shown in Table 2 and Table 3 respectively.

     Comparing the second quarter of 2013 with the second quarter of 2012, double-digit increases were recorded in the tonnage of inward port cargo loaded in Malaysia (+16%) and the mainland of China (+14%). On the other hand, double-digit decreases were recorded in the tonnage of inward port cargo loaded in Korea (-35%), Vietnam (-15%), Singapore (-14%) and Japan (-11%). For outward port cargo, double-digit decreases were registered in the tonnage discharged in Indonesia (-19%), Thailand (-11%) and Singapore (-11%).

     Comparing the first half of 2013 with the same period in 2012, double-digit decreases were recorded in the tonnage of inward port cargo loaded in Korea (-30%), Japan (-13%) and Singapore (-12%). For outward port cargo, double-digit decreases were registered in the tonnage discharged in Thailand (-14%) and Indonesia (-11%).

     The principal commodities for inward and outward port cargo are shown in Table 4 and Table 5 respectively.

     Comparing the second quarter of 2013 with the second quarter of 2012, double-digit changes were recorded in inward port cargo of "stone, sand and gravel; metalliferous ores and metal scrap; and pulp and waste paper" (+26%) and "artificial resins and plastic materials" (-11%). As for outward port cargo, double-digit changes were recorded for "logs and timber; wood, simply worked" (+22%), "stone, sand and gravel; metalliferous ores and metal scrap; and pulp and waste paper" (+11%), "artificial resins and plastic materials" (-10%) and "machinery" (-13%).

     Comparing the first half of 2013 with the same period in 2012, double-digit changes were recorded in inward port cargo of "stone, sand and gravel; metalliferous ores and metal scrap; and pulp and waste paper" (+17%) and "artificial resins and plastic materials" (-10%). As for outward port cargo, double-digit changes were recorded for "logs and timber; wood, simply worked" (+15%), "iron and steel" (-10%), "machinery" (-11%) and "artificial resins and plastic materials" (-12%).

Containers

     In the second quarter of 2013, the port of Hong Kong handled 5.5 million TEUs of containers, representing a decrease of 8% compared with a year earlier. Within this total, laden containers decreased by 5% to 4.8 million TEUs, while empty containers also dropped by 24% to 0.7 million TEUs. Among laden containers, inward containers decreased by 4% to 2.4 million TEUs, while outward containers also dropped by 5% to 2.4 million TEUs.

     In the first half of 2013, the port of Hong Kong handled 10.7 million TEUs of containers, representing a decrease of 8% compared with the same period in 2012. Within this total, laden containers dropped by 6% to 9.3 million TEUs, while empty containers also decreased by 16% to 1.5 million TEUs. Among laden containers, inward containers decreased by 5% to 4.7 million TEUs, while outward containers also dropped by 7% to 4.6 million TEUs.

     On a seasonally adjusted quarter-to-quarter comparison, laden container throughput decreased by 3% in the second quarter of 2013. Within this total, inward and outward laden containers decreased by 4% and 2% respectively.

     Seaborne laden containers decreased by 7% in the second quarter of 2013 compared with a year earlier to 3.5 million TEUs, while river laden containers increased by 3% to 1.2 million TEUs.

     Within inward laden containers, imports and inward transhipment decreased by 4% and 5% in the second quarter of 2013 compared with a year earlier to 0.7 million TEUs and 1.7 million TEUs respectively. For outward laden containers, exports and outward transhipment decreased by 6% and 4% to 0.7 million TEUs and 1.7 million TEUs respectively.

     In the first half of 2013, seaborne and river laden containers decreased by 7% and 2% compared with the same period in 2012 to 6.9 million TEUs and 2.3 million TEUs respectively.

     Within inward laden containers, imports and inward transhipment decreased by 6% and 5% in the first half of 2013 compared with a year earlier to 1.3 million TEUs and 3.4 million TEUs respectively. For outward laden containers, exports and outward transhipment decreased by 8% and 7% to 1.3 million TEUs and 3.3 million TEUs respectively.

     The detailed container statistics are summarised in Table 6.

     Port cargo and laden container statistics are compiled from a sample of consignments listed in the cargo manifests supplied by shipping companies and agents to the C&SD.

Vessel arrivals

     Comparing the second quarter of 2013 with the second quarter of 2012, the number of ocean vessel arrivals decreased by 4% to 7 460, with the total capacity recording virtually no change at 102.9 million net registered tons. The number of river vessel arrivals decreased by 4% to 38 710, with the total capacity increasing by 9% to 28.5 million net registered tons.

     Comparing the first half of 2013 with the same period in 2012, the number of ocean vessel arrivals decreased by 2% to 14 930, with the total capacity also decreasing by 1% to 204.2 million net registered tons. The number of river vessel arrivals decreased by 3% to 76 820, with the total capacity increasing by 5% to 53.8 million net registered tons.

     The statistics on vessel arrivals in Hong Kong are given in Table 7.

     Vessel statistics are compiled by the Marine Department primarily from general declarations submitted by ship masters and authorised shipping agents. Pleasure vessels and fishing vessels plying exclusively within the river trade limits are excluded.

Further information

     More detailed statistics on port cargo, containers and vessels are contained in the quarterly report "Hong Kong Shipping Statistics".

     The April íV June 2013 issue of the report will be available by the end of September. Users can download this publication free of charge at the website of the C&SD (www.censtatd.gov.hk/hkstat/sub/sp130.jsp?productCode=B1020008).

     Enquiries on port cargo and container statistics may be directed to the Shipping and Cargo Statistics Section of the C&SD (Tel: 2582 4889 or email: shipping@censtatd.gov.hk). For enquiries about vessel statistics, readers may contact the Statistics Section under the Planning, Development and Port Security Branch of the Marine Department (Tel: 2852 3661 or email: st-sec@mardep.gov.hk).

Ends/Monday, September 9, 2013
Issued at HKT 16:30

NNNN

Print this page