Traditional Chinese Simplified Chinese Email this article
Monetary Statistics for August 2012

The following is issued on behalf of the Hong Kong Monetary Authority:

     According to statistics published today (September 28) by the Hong Kong Monetary Authority, total deposits with authorised institutions rose by 1.0% in August. Hong Kong-dollar deposits expanded by 1.5% during the month, reflecting increases in demand, savings and time deposits. Overall foreign-currency deposits grew by 0.4% in August, while renminbi deposits in Hong Kong declined by 1.9% to RMB552.3 billion. The total remittance of the renminbi for cross-border trade settlement amounted to RMB254.2 billion in August, compared with RMB223.4 billion in the previous month.

     Total loans and advances decreased by 0.3% in August. Loans for use in Hong Kong declined by 0.1% and loans for use outside Hong Kong contracted by 0.5%. As Hong Kong-dollar loans increased at a slower rate than deposits, the Hong Kong-dollar loan-to-deposit ratio edged down to 82.4% at the end of August from 83.6% a month ago.

     Seasonally adjusted Hong Kong-dollar M1 increased by 0.6% in August and expanded by 8.6% year on year. Unadjusted Hong Kong-dollar M3 grew by 1.5% during the month and rose by 8.5% from a year earlier.

Ends/Friday, September 28, 2012
Issued at HKT 17:18


Print this page