Traditional Chinese Simplified Chinese Email this article
Village Representative Election voter registration campaign starts today

     The 2011 voter registration campaign for the Village Representative Election (VRE) started today (June 13) and will continue until July 16.

     A spokesman for the Home Affairs Department (HAD) said, "Eligible persons who have not registered and want to have their names on this year's register are reminded to register as voters by July 16."

     There are two types of village representatives, namely Indigenous Inhabitant Representatives (IIR) and Resident Representatives (RR). An IIR, returned by indigenous inhabitants, their spouses or surviving spouses of an Indigenous/Composite Indigenous Village, should reflect the views of the indigenous inhabitants of the village and deal with affairs relating to the lawful traditional rights and interests and the traditional way of life of those indigenous inhabitants.

     A RR, returned by residents (both indigenous and non-indigenous inhabitants) of an Existing Village, should reflect views on the affairs of the village on behalf of the residents of the village.

     "There are different eligibility requirements for registration as voters for these elections, so applicants have to ascertain whether they fulfill the requirements," the spokesman added.

     "Indigenous inhabitants, their spouses or surviving spouses, aged 18 or above and holding recognised identity documents, are eligible to be registered as voters in the IIR Election of an Indigenous/Composite Indigenous Village.

     "For registration as voters in the RR Election, one must be a Hong Kong permanent resident aged 18 or above and have been a resident of the Existing Village for three years immediately before the date of application for registration, and whose address in the village is his or her principal residential address. Principal residential address means the address of the dwelling place at which the person resides and which constitutes the person's sole or main home."

     The spokesman also reminded indigenous inhabitants of an Indigenous/Composite Indigenous Village, their spouses or surviving spouses who were now residing in an Existing Village for three years or more immediately before registration, to submit two separate forms if they wished to register as voters for both elections.

     Completed voter registration forms should be forwarded in person, by post, by fax or by electronic means (in which case a digital signature supported by a recognised certificate is required) and should reach the HAD or any District Offices on or before July 16, Hong Kong time.

     Voter registration forms can be obtained at all Public Enquiry Service Centres of the District Offices, HKSAR overseas offices or downloaded from the VRE website (

     The HAD will publicise the campaign through the the VRE website, pamphlets, posters, banners and newspaper advertisements to encourage eligible persons, including those living overseas, to register as voters.

     For enquiries, please call the hotline at 2152 1521.

Ends/Monday, June 13, 2011
Issued at HKT 14:31


Print this page