Traditional Chinese Simplified Chinese Email this article
Contract awarded for Harbour Area Treatment Scheme Stage 2A (with photo)

     The Drainage Services Department today (March 9) awarded a $2,386 million contract for the construction of a main pumping station, sedimentation tanks and ancillary facilities for upgrading the Stonecutters Island Sewage Treatment Works (SCISTW).

     Speaking after the contract signing ceremony, the Director of Drainage Services, Mr Chan Chi-chiu, said this is the ninth works contract awarded for the Harbour Area Treatment Scheme (HATS) Stage 2A and good progress has been made on those contracts already commenced.  

     "The SCISTW is the centrepiece of HATS.  It provides chemically enhanced primary treatment and disinfection to all sewage collected via the deep sewage tunnels.  This contract comprises the construction of a large underground pumping station with an internal diameter of 55 metres and a depth of more than 40 metres, the provision of additional double-tray sedimentation tanks, a new computer control system, the expansion and modification of existing installations of the SCISTW as well as the construction of other ancillary facilities," Mr Chan said.

     Upon completion of the upgrading works, the treatment capacity of SCISTW will be increased from 1.7 million cubic metres/day to 2.45 million cubic metres/day. The upgraded plant will also be provided with new deodorisation units for odour control and landscape works for aesthetic enhancement of the plant.

     HATS is a major sewerage infrastructure project in Hong Kong to improve the water quality of Victoria Harbour.  The commissioning of HATS Stage 1 in late 2001 has provided proper treatment for about 75% of the sewage discharged into Victoria Harbour, and has significantly improved the water quality in the eastern and central parts of the harbour.  HATS Stage 2A will collect the remaining 25% of the sewage generated from the northern and southwestern parts of Hong Kong Island, and involves the construction of approximately 21 kilometres of sewage tunnels, and the expansion and upgrading of the SCISTW facilities and eight related Preliminary Treatment Works on Hong Kong Island.

     The contract is scheduled for completion in mid 2016.

Ends/Wednesday, March 9, 2011
Issued at HKT 17:22


Print this page