Traditional Chinese Simplified Chinese Email this article Government Homepage
Impact study contract awarded for harbour area treatment scheme

    The Drainage Services Department today (February 24) awarded a $5 million consultancy contract to carry out an environmental impact assessment (EIA) study for a new stage of the Harbour Area Treatment Scheme (HATS).

    ˇ§Following the start of the design consultancy for the sewage conveyance system for HATS Stage 2A last month, the awarding of this EIA study consultancy contract signifies another key step in moving forward the HATS Stage 2A, ˇ¨Assistant Director of Drainage Services (Sewage Services)  Mr Ko Wing-hon said after signing the contract.

     The HATS programme is a major sewerage infrastructure for Hong Kong.  The commissioning of HATS Stage 1 in late 2001, which provides treatment to about 75% of the sewage discharged into Victoria Harbour, has brought significant improvement in water quality to the eastern and central part of our harbour. Upon the commissioning of HATS Stage 2A, targeted for 2013/14, the remaining 25% of sewage will be collected for chemical treatment and disinfection, bringing about further improvement to the water quality in Victoria Harbour.  

     ˇ§The commencement of construction works is, however, subject to the community acceptance of the need for the full operating costs of sewage treatment to be recovered from users of the sewage services,ˇ¨ Mr Ko said.

     Based on the views gathered in the 2004 public consultation, it is clear that the general public welcome the implementation of HATS Stage 2.

     HATS Stage 2A entails the construction of a deep tunnel conveyance system to transfer the currently untreated sewage from the northern and western shores of Hong Kong Island to Stonecutters Island, provision of additional treatment and disinfection facilities at the existing Stonecutters Island Sewage Treatment Works to cope with the sewage from Hong Kong Island and the anticipated population growth in the harbour area, and upgrading of the existing preliminary treatment plants connecting to HATS Stage 2 along the shore of Hong Kong Island.

     The 18-month EIA study will investigate and identify the potential environmental impacts e.g. visual, odour and water quality impacts arising from the proposed works, recommend mitigation measures, and prepare the necessary environmental monitoring and audit programme for the works during the construction and operation stages.

     The consultancy contract was awarded to Maunsell Environmental Management Consultants Ltd.

     Details of the HATS can be downloaded from the website:

Ends/Friday, February 24, 2006
Issued at HKT 14:21