Traditional Chinese Simplified Chinese Email this article Government Homepage
Harbour Area Treatment Scheme Stage 2A consultancy contract awarded

    The Drainage Services Department today (January 19) awarded a $49.8 million consultancy contract to carry out the investigation, design and construction stage services for the sewage conveyance system of the Harbour Area Treatment Scheme (HATS) Stage 2A.

    ˇ§The start of this consultancy contract signifies another important step in taking forward the HATS Stage 2A,ˇ¨ Assistant Director of Drainage Services (Sewage Services) Mr Ko Wing-hon, said after signing the agreement.

    ˇ§The sewage conveyance system will form a major component of the HATS Stage 2A which, upon completion in 2013-14, will bring further improvement to the water quality in Victoria Harbour.ˇ¨

    ˇ§However, the commencement of the construction stage services of the consultancy, future works contracts, and achievement of the 2013-14 target completion date will depend on community acceptance of the need for the full operating costs of sewage treatment to be recovered from users of the sewage services,ˇ¨he added.

     Based on the views gathered in the 2004 public consultation, it was clear that the general public welcomed the implementation of HATS Stage 2.

     The commissioning of HATS Stage 1 in late 2001, providing treatment to about 75% of the sewage discharged into Victoria Harbour, has brought significant improvement in water quality to the eastern and central part of our harbour.  But the remaining 25% of sewage generated in the north, west and southwest of Hong Kong Island is only given preliminary treatment before disposal. Upon completion of the sewage conveyance system,  it will convey such sewage to Stonecutters Island Sewage Treatment Works for chemically enhanced primary treatment and disinfection before it is discharged into the harbour.

     ˇ§As most of the 20km long sewage conveyance system will be deep underground, the tasks required under the consultancy are very complex and challenging,ˇ¨ Mr Ko said.

     To avoid serious traffic disruption caused by the conventional pipe laying method which requires extensive road opening, and to minimise public disturbance and eliminate possible conflicts with building foundations, the sewage conveyance system will be designed to be deep below ground, some at depths of more than 130m below sea level.

     The consultancy contract was awarded to Metcalf & Eddy - Maunsell Joint Venture.

     Details of the HATS can be downloaded from the website:

Ends/Thursday, January 19, 2006
Issued at HKT 14:35


Print this page