The Electrical and Mechanical Services Department (EMSD) today (January 14) organised a "Forum on Energy Efficiency and Conservation" at the Conard Hong Kong with more than 180 participants from different countries.
The Forum provided an occasion for participants to know more about recent developments in energy efficiency and conservation in the APEC region, to meet and exchange views on matters related to energy and sustainability with people from different economies and backgrounds, and to develop networking with concerned parties from Hong Kong, the Mainland and overseas economies.
"Energy use and conservation is undoubtedly a matter of priority and interest for governments in the world, as well as environmental-conscious organisations and individuals," said the Permanent Secretary for the Environment, Transport and Works (Environment), Mrs Rita Lau Ng Wai-lan, at the forum.
The Director of Electrical and Mechanical Services, Mr Roger Lai Sze-hoi, also remarked, "We are particularly pleased that such distinguished groups of experts, practitioners, policy makers and enthusiasts have come together here in Hong Kong to discuss a topic with such significance for our region."
The programme of the forum comprised five presentations by energy experts and government officials from different economies in the region and a discussion session chaired by Mr Otto Poon, Chairman of the Energy Advisory Committee. The presentations included:
* "Energy Conservation and New Energy Policy and its Outlook in China" by Mr Wang Jun, Deputy Director, Department of Basic Industries, State Development Planning Commission, People's Republic of China;
* "APEC Energy Working Group: Energy for Sustainable Development" by Mr John Ryan, Lead Shepherd, APEC Energy Working Group;
* "Development of New and Renewable Energy Technologies" by Mr John W. Spears, President of the U.S. International Centre for Sustainable Development;
* "APEC Energy Demand and Supply Outlook 2002" by Dr. Yonghun Jung, Vice President of Asia Pacific Energy Research Centre; and
* "Energy Consumption Indicators and Benchmarking" by Mr C. K. Lee, Assistant Director / Energy Efficiency, Energy Efficiency Office, Electrical and Mechanical Services Department, HKSAR Government.
End/Tuesday, January 14, 2003